Soya Vegetable Pulav is a common dish of rice mixed with various vegatables along with soya chunks. If you feel like having a full meal without roti/chappatis and sabjis, Soya Veg Pulav is the right option to go for. It should be supplemented with dal fry, raita and fried pappads. It’s a common menu item for any home celebrations or parties.
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Cook Time – 20 mins
Total Time – 40 mins
- 2 bowl rice (optional – Biryani Rice/ Normal Rice)
- 1 Bowl Soya chunks (Nutrela Mini Soya chunks)
- 2 and ½ bowl water
- 1 small bowl green Peas (fresh/frozen)
- 2 finely chopped Onion
- 2 finely chopped Carrot
- 3 finely chopped Beans
- 3-4 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon ginger -garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed powder
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder / yellow food colour (optional)
- 4-5 cloves (laung)
- 4-5 black pepper (kali miri)
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 1 star anise (dagadful)
- ½ teaspoon caraway seed (shajeera)
- 3-4 – bay leaf (tamal patra /tej patta)
- 1-inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- ½ nutmeg (jaiphal) or 1 pinch nutmeg powder
- 3 -4 teaspoon ghee
- Salt to taste
Serves: 5 persons
Directions / Procedure :
- Wash the rice and drain the water completely. Keep aside for 30 minutes. If possible place the rice in a chalni (big strainer /sieve)
- Wash the soya chunks 2-3 times and soak it in a hot water for 30 minutes. Within 30 minutes, soya chunks will look bigger in size. Then remove the soya chunks from hot water and again 2 times wash with normal water, completely drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in the Kadai / Pressure cooker on low flame gas & add above spices like cloves, black pepper, cinnamon, black cardamom, green cardamom, anise, shahajeera, tej patta , nutmeg, fennel seed powder, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and saute for 2–3 minutes, till the onion turn reddish brown and add ginger-garlic paste, saute till the aroma goes.
- Add slit green chillies, soya chunks, green peas, carrot, beans, turmeric powder/liquid yellow food colour and stir it well. Add 2 bowl water, salt and cook the veggies for 3- 4 minutes.
- As veggies start boiling, add drained rice and if required add small amount of water, add turmeric powder(optional) and salt to taste.
- Stir it well. Cover with lid and cook the rice on medium flame gas for 4-5 minutes. In between check the water is sufficient for cooking the rice or not. If required add few amount of water.
- Soya Veg Pulav is ready now and serve this hot with any raita / dal fry.
Tips / suggestions:
- Use any fragrant(aromatic) rice or long grain Basmati rice
- Add paneer pieces, normal cashews/fried cashew- fry till golden brown on medium flame
- Add vegetables as per your choice like potatoes, capsicum, cauliflower florets.
- Add extra green chillies if you like spice
- Adjust/avoid above spice ingredients as per your choice
- Making soya veg pulav in pressure cooker, adjust the water in cooker for texturing rice purpose – softer texture of rice add more water (½ bowl water) and hard texture of rice do not add more water
Photos for reference: