Potatoes (Batata/Aloo) are used in most of the Indian dishes to make the dish tastier. The best use of potatoes is to make bajjis/pakoras by frying the slices
dipped in the besan. This dish is prepared in most of the states of India.In Maharashtra, you’ll find batata bajji in most of the restaurants and at every street corner with any vadapav seller. It’s very easy to prepare this dish.
Preparation Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 15 mins
Total Time – 25 mins
- 2 medium size potatoes (batata/aloo)
- 2 bowls besan / gram flour
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds- Owa (Ajwain)
- 1 pinch baking soda (opitional)
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Serves: for 2 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Take potatoes and wash with water. Then peel the skin of potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes in slices but very thin and in round shape.
- In a bowl take these thin round shape potatoes, add some salt & water in it, for 10 minutes keep aside.
- After 10 minutes wash again with water. Remove the water complexly and keep aside.
- Simultaneously prepare batter of besan by adding ingredients like – Besan, chili powder, turmeric powder, ajwain, asafoetida, baking soda and salt to taste.
- Mix all ingredients very well & now add slowly water. Whisk the batter carefully.
- Try to break all the lumps and make batter very smooth with flowing consistency is must.
- Heat the oil in a deep-frying pan / kadai on medium flame gas.
- Now dip the sliced thin potatoes in well prepared batter. Make sure that batter coated completely to the sliced potatoes.
- Slowly, put the batter coated potatoes in a hot oil for frying.
- When frying, stir the bajji in between. It cooks little bit from that side then flip the bajji and fry it from other side. Fry the bajji till it becomes golden red from both sides.
- Remove the bajji from oil and drain the excess oil. Keep it on a kitchen tissue paper.
- Garnish with coriander leaves if you like and serve hot with tomato sauce or green chutney.
Tips / Suggestions :
- Take round and small shape potatoes
- Try to cut the potatoes in very thin slice
- If you like crispier then add 3 teaspoon rice flour
- If you like more spice, then add ginger- green chilli paste
Photos for reference: