The Tawa Veg Pulav is a very famous dish on Mumbai streets. You’ll find this dish at any Pav-bhaji food stall. It’s a different version of Veg Pulav added with spices and prepared on Tawa (Big Pan). Therefore, it is called Tawa Veg Pulav. For preparation at home you can use Kadai if you don’t have Tawa. Here goes the spicy Tawa Veg Pulav…
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Cook Time – 20 mins
Total Time – 40 mins
- 2 bowl rice (optional – Biryani Rice/ Normal Rice)
- 4 bowl water, if required add ½ bowl water
- 1 small bowl green Peas (fresh/frozen)
- 2-3 finely chopped Onion
- 2-3 finely chopped Tomatoes
- 2 finely chopped Carrot
- 3 finely chopped Capsicum
- 1 -2 boiled potatoes – make small pieces – (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 pinch cinnamon powder
- 2-3 teaspoon Everest pav bhaji masala
- ½ finely chopped coriander leaves
- 5 -6 teaspoon garlic butter / normal butter
- 5-6 teaspoon oil
- Salt to taste
Serves: 6 persons
Directions / Procedure :
- Wash the rice and drain the water completely. Keep aside for 30 minutes. If possible place the rice in a chalni (big strainer/sieve).
- Simultaneously, in a deep pan boil 4 bowls of water and then add above rice, 1 teaspoon oil and salt to taste. Cook the rice in a low flame gas without lid.
- If required add ½ bowl water and cook further, then keep aside.
- Also cook peas and carrot. Cook till they become soft and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in deep Kadai on low flame gas & add mustard seed and cumin seed, fry till the mustard seed crackles then add the chopped onion saute till the onion turn soft and reddish.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste, further saute till the aroma goes.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and mix it well. Here add garlic butter, cook till onion and tomato become soft and oil start separating from the onion and tomato mixture.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, cinnamon powder and pav bhaji masala. Add chopped capsicum in it, mix all well, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add boiled potatoes, peas and carrot. Add some amount of water and salt to taste. Mix all vegetables very well and again cook few minutes. Make sure that all veggies and masala become thick.
- Now last step to add cooked rice over it and mix the masala and rice very smoothly because sometime rice grains break.
- Cover with lid and cook the rice on low flame gas for 3 minutes.
- Tawa Pulav is ready now, garnish with coriander leaves and serve this hot with any raita.
Tips / suggestions:
- Use any fragrant (aromatic) rice or long grain Basmati rice
- Add or adjust ginger garlic paste as per your taste
- Add some butter (normal / garlic) and some oil as per your taste
- Add some more red chilli powder and pav bhaji masala as per your taste
- Also add other veggies like French Beans, Cauliflower florets.
- Add Paneer pieces if your kids like it.
Ready to serve with your lunch or dinner.
Photos for reference: