Basundi is a special sweet dish prepared across India. However, the state-wise preparation is different. It is prepared using Milk and Dry fruits. This dish is served during festive seasons such Diwali, Dussehra and other festivals.
Preparation Time – 5 Mins
Cook Time – 1 hr 10 mins
Total Time – 1 hr 15 mins
- 4 Litre full Cream Milk (Buffalo milk)
- 2 big bowl Sugar
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped Almond
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped Pistachios
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped Cashews
- 3 teaspoon Charoli
- 3 teaspoon Raisins
- 1 teaspoon Green cardamom powder (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg powder (Optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Kesar / Saffron (optional)
Serves: 8 – 10 persons
Directions / Procedure :
- First take the four-litre milk in a large, thick and deep pan/Kadai. Then Keep it for boiling on a medium flame and stir occasionally.
- Once the milk start boiling, keep the flame low and stir the milk in between while it is simmering.
- Sometime milk may stick to the bottom of kadai/ pan while simmering and malai being formed on top. Then stir the milk well and mix the malai in milk.
- On low flame, make sure that malai doesn’t gather together on top of milk. Stirring the milk in between and boil it for about 1 hour.
- Boil the milk till it reduces to half quantity means two-litre. The colour of milk is changed slightly to light brown.
- Now add finely chopped thin pieces of dry fruits like almond, pistachios, charoli, cashews and raisins in it and let it simmer on medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add sugar and stir continuously till the sugar is dissolved completely.
- After adding sugar, continuous stirring is must to prevent the burning of the milk at bottom of the pan/kadai.
- Here add cardamom powder and mix it well. Again simmer it for about 5 minutes on low flame so the milk will become thick.
- Once the Basundi is cooled completely, it becomes very thick.
- Here, your Basundi is ready, garnish with saffron/kesar and serve as a dessert in lunch or dinner.
Tips / suggestions:
- Instead of cardamom, use grated nutmeg.
- Add and adjust dry fruits as per your choices.
- Add and adjust sugar as per your choice.
- If basundi is more thicken then add milk as required and adjust the thickness.
- Always serve hot basundi with puri.
- Cooking time depends on the quantity of the milk.
Photos for reference: