Kanda Bata Poha is the most popular dish of Maharashtra. This dish is prepared for breakfast or evening snacks using Flattened Rice, Onions and Potatoes. The topping of grated coconut, coriander leaves, drops of lemon juice and besan sev makes it more delicious dish. It’s an easy and quick to prepare dish. You’ll find this dish prepared by people in the Western India region. Some people call it Kanda Poha or Kanda Batata Poha or Kandhe Pohe or just Poha.
Preparation Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 20 mins
Total Time – 30 mins
- 400 gm Poha – Beaten rice/ Flattened rice
- 2-3 medium size Potatoes
- 3-4 -finely chopped Onion
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 4-5 finely chopped Green Chillies
- Finely Chopped Coriander leaves
- ½ bowl Grated Coconut
- ½ bowl Besan Sev
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 5 teaspoon oil / little bit more oil
- Salt to taste
Serves: 5 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- First wash the Potatoes and peal the skin. Then cut the potatoes in any shape but very thin. Keep aside in water.
- Rinse the poha two to three times in water till they become clean and soft. Keep it in water for about 2-3 minutes and then remove it from water. Press the poha slightly using hand fingers and remove the excess water. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in Kadai or pan on low flame gas & add mustard seed, fry the mustard till they crackle, then add curry leaves and green chillies, sauté for about 1 minutes.
- Add finely chopped onion and sauté till the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Then add finely chopped potatoes, sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder and 2 pinch salt, stir it very well and cover with lid.
- On a low flame, cook the mixture of onion and potatoes very well and oil start separating from the mixture. Stir the mixture once in between while cooking.
- Add poha in the mixture and salt to taste as required, mix it very well. Cover with lid and steam the poha for about 2-3 minutes on a low flame gas.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander, sprinkle some grated coconut and sev, also keep piece of lemon on poha dish before serving.
Serve hot with tea/coffee.
Tips / suggestions:
- Do not add water for cooking
- Cut the potatoes very thin because they cook easily
- If you like coconut, then add grated coconut (optional)
- Adding roasted peanuts. (optional)
Photos for reference: