Bread Cutlet is a healthy and an easy to cook recipe prepared using white or whole wheat bread. Generally, this bread cutlet is filled with yellow potato bhaji /batata bhaji in state of Maharashtra, India. I had prepared it differently by using boiled potato, beetroot and some spices which are easily available at home. You can prepare this dish for evening snacks or birthday parties.
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Cook Time – 20 mins
Total Time – 40 mins
- 2 medium size beetroot
- 3 medium size potato
- Slices of Brown bread / Wheat bread (1 Pack)
- ½ inch ginger
- 5/6 chillies
- 1 bowl coriander leaves
- 2 bowls Besan / gram flour
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds- Owa (Ajwain)
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1 pinch baking soda (optional)
- 1 bowl bread crumbs (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying purpose
Serves: 8 persons
Directions / Procedure:
Process to prepare Cutlet filling
- First boil potato and beetroot in a pressure cook and cool it down.
- After cooling, peel the potato and beetroot then mash all together in a bowl and keep aside.
- Make paste of chilli, ginger and coriander leaves.
- In mash potato-beetroot mixture, add above paste and other ingredient like chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Now mix all ingredients very well and keep aside.
- Here your filling/ mixture is ready for making bread cutlet.
Process to prepare Besan Batter
- First prepare batter of besan by adding ingredients like – besan, chili powder, turmeric powder, ajwain, asafoetida, baking soda and salt to taste.
- Mix all ingredients very well & now add water slowly. Whisk the batter carefully.
- Try to break all the lumps and make batter very smooth with flowing consistency is must.
Process to prepare Bread Cutlet
- Take two slices of wheat bread, spread the filling/ mixture on one bread and keep another bread on it. Cut it diagonally into two triangle shapes
- Simultaneously, heat the oil in a deep-frying pan / kadai on low flame gas.
- Now dip the filled bread in a well-prepared batter. Make sure that batter coated completely to the bread slices.
- Now immediately apply bread crumbs to the well-coated batter bread cutlet from both sides.
- Slowly, put the batter and bread crumbs coated Bread Cutlet in a hot oil for frying.
- Keep the flame medium, it cooks little bit from one side then flip the cutlet and fry it from other side. Fry the cutlet till it becomes reddish brownish from both sides.
- Remove it from oil and drain the excess oil carefully. Keep it on a kitchen tissue paper.
- Garnish with coriander leaves if you like and serve hot with tomato sauce or green chutney
Tips / suggestions:
- Add ginger garlic paste as per your choice
- Add another veggie like carrot, green peas, cabbage in the mixture
- Add / adjust more spice ingredients like chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder
- Applying bread crumbs is optional
Photos for reference: