Do you know that you can prepare a crispy snack/side dish from Coriander leaves? Here I present Kothimbir Vadi a special snacks/side dish of Maharashtra which is prepared using Coriander leaves. This dish is mostly prepared during Shravan month of Hindu calendar, Janmashtami (Lord Krishna’s Birthday) and Ganesh festival or any special occasion because these leaves are easily available during any season. But in rainy season the coriander leaves are available in cheaper rate. This recipe is very easy to cook as all ingredients are easily available at home.
Preparation Time – 30 mins
Cook Time – 10 mins
Total Time – 40 mins
- 3 Coriander leaves bunches (Kothimbir Judis)
- 4 green chillies
- 1-inch ginger
- ½ bowl finely chopped coriander leaves(for paste)
- 2 bowl gram flour (Besan)
- ½ bowl rice flour – optional
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch of asafoetida
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed
- 1 small bowl oil for frying
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
Serves: 5 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Wash the coriander leaves/kothimbir leaves and keep them aside.
- Drain the water completely and then finely chopped the coriander leaves.
- Make the paste of coriander leaves, green chillies and ginger.
- In mixing bowl take finely chopped coriander leaves and above ingredients like coriander powder, cumin seed powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida, baking soda, besan, rice flour, paste of ginger, chilli and coriander. Also add salt to taste.
- Mix the above ingredients very well by adding small amount of water and to make thick batter OR begin to knead and make soft dough.
- Take small deep container and rub the oil all over the inside portion of the container. Now add the above batter into the container, make 2-3 inches layer. OR apply some oil to hand and give the cylindrical shape to the dough.
- Keep the container/dough for steaming – you can use idli steamer/ patra or pressure cooker. Add 1 ½ glass of water in cooker and place container in it. OR Apply some oil to the empty container and keep the cylindrical shape dough in it. Without whistle cook till 15 to 20 mins on medium flame gas.
- Remove the flame and let it cool down. Take the steam container or dough and make the slices of steam dough in ½ inch thick.
- Heat the oil in frying pan and fry the slices/vadis till it turns reddish from both sides.
- Take it out from frying pan & place it in a kitchen paper. Here your is Kothimbir Vadi dish is ready to serve.
- If you like tadka, then heat the oil in a tadka pan and add sesame seed and fry it nicely. Then pour this tadka in a fried kothimbir Vadi.
Tips / suggestions:
- For making Kothimbir vadi use fresh coriander leaves.
- Drain the water completely after washing because if water remains then you will need more besan.
- Add or adjust more spice ingredients as per your choice like cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder.
- You add garlic paste also as per your choice.
- Add jaggery for light sweetness, if you like.
- You can serve these Kothimbir vadi without frying (Steam) also or you can deep fry/shallow fry it as you like.
- You can store steam Kothimbir vadi in freeze for about 2 weeks
Photos for reference: