The Shraavan month has just begun. Today being the first Shraavan Somvar, I present here a very easy to make Potato Peanut Bhaji specially for upvaas (fasting) days. This dish is prepared in most of the states of India. In Maharashtra, it is known as Upvasachi Batata Bhaji. I have prepared this dish by adding boiled peanuts which gives a different taste. This bhaji goes well with Rajgira Puri, Varichi Bhakari or Varicha Bhat. You can also prepare this bhaji for breakfast or evening snacks.
Preparation Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 15 mins
Total Time – 25 mins
- 3-4 medium size Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 4-5 finely chopped Green Chillies
- ½ small bowl Peanut
- Finely Chopped Coriander leaves
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 3 teaspoon oil or 3 teaspoon Ghee
- Salt to taste (Sendha Namak / Rock Salt)
Serves: 2-3 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Soak the peanut in water for about 4-5 hours
- After 4-5 hours boiled the soaked peanut and keep aisde
- Simultaneously, wash the Potatoes and peal the skin. Then cut the potatoes in any shape but very thin. Keep aside in water.
- Heat the oil in Kadai or pan on low flame gas & add cumin seed, curry leaves and green chillies, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped potatoes and add salt to taste. Stir the mixture well. Cover with lid and cook for about 7-8min on low flame gas. Stir the mixture once in between while cooking.
- Now add boiled peanut, mix it well, saute the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve hot with Rajgira Puri, Varichi Bhakari or Varicha Bhat
Tips / suggestions:
- Do not add water for cooking
- Cut the potatoes very thin because they cook easily
- If you like coconut, then add desiccated coconut (optional)
- If you like coarsely crushed roasted peanuts, then add in it (optional)
Ready to serve during your fasting day.
Photos for reference: