Dahi Vada is a breakfast recipe made in many households. This dish is a popular snack of North Indian. I have prepared it from urad and moong dal batter. This preparation procedure could vary in every state of India. My kids love sweet curd very much that’s the reason they love this Dahi Vada too.
Preparation Time – 30 mins
Cook Time – 30 mins
Total Time – 1 hour
- 2 Bowl Urad dals
- 1 Bowl Moong dal
- 1/2 bowl grated coconut
- 2 Bowl Butter milk
- 1kg Curd (as required)
- 1 bowl sugar
- 5-6 green chillies
- 1-inch Ginger
- 3-4 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 3-4 teaspoon chat masala (optional)
- 3-4 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ bowl coriander leaves
- ½ bowl oil
- Salt to taste
Serves: 7-8 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Rinse urad dal and moong dal in water for 3-4 times, means until water gets clear. Soak both urad dal and moong dal for about
5 – 6 hours in medium bowl.
- Make a paste of chilly, ginger and coriander leaves. Keep aside.
- Take curd in big bowl, add sugar and salt to taste. Stir it well and keep it in a refrigerator.
- After 5-6 hours, once again rinse the urad dal and moong dal in water. Then grind the both soaked dal’s in a mixer without adding water.
If required add water while grinding and make thick smooth batter.
- In a big deep pan, now mix the batter very well and cover it with lid. Keep the batter in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- After one hour, add chilli-ginger-coriander paste, black pepper powder, grated coconut and salt to taste, mix all ingredients very well. Add enough water and salt to taste, again stir the batter well.
- While stirring the batter, make sure that batter should be thick and have pouring consistency is must.
- Heat the appe pan on low flame. Grease each mould of appe pan with few drops of oil/ ghee.
- Take the batter in a serving spoon or ladle, pour one full ladle of batter in each mould of appe pan.
- Now keep the flame medium and cook the base light golden reddish then flip the vada carefully.
- Once it cooked from both sides then remove it in a plate.
- Take cold water in a deep pan and add the cooked vada in it. Soak the vada in water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the vada from water and drain the excess water by pressing it gently using the palm.
- Similarly, take butter milk in a pan and keep the vada in it for about one hour.
- After one hour, take the vada in serving bowl and pour the sweet curd over it.
- Sprinkle the red chilli, chat masala and black pepper powder over it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it immediately or keep it in refrigerator and serve it later.
Tips / suggestions:
- If you plan this recipe on next day morning, then you have soaked the dals in previous night.
- Instead of appe pan use deep kadai and fry the vada in hot oil.
- Serve dahi vada with green chutney /sweet chutney as per your choice
- From above batter, make 30 -35 vadas
Photos for reference: