Gulgule is a very simple sweet dish prepared during Holi festival in Maharashtra. It also known as Meethe Pakode. This dish is prepared in most of the states of India. However, the taste varies in all states as the ingredients varies from state to state.
Here I have just tried to cook this dish differently by adding dry fruits pieces and curd. It’s an easy recipe and requires few ingredients that easily available at home. This can be quickly preparing in a very short time and served as a dessert/ sweet dish.
Preparation Time – 15 min
Cook Time – 20 min
Total Time – 35 min
- 1 bowl Wheat flour
- 1 bowl Jaggery water
- 1/2 bowl Curd
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds – crushed this well / use powder
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- Oil / Ghee for deep frying
- Dry fruits pieces like cashews, almonds, pistachios
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
Serves: 7 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- In a deep pan add one bowl water and jaggery and mix it well. Keep the pan on low flame, boil the water few minutes, till jaggery dissolve completely, then turn off the flame.
- In a large mixing bowl, take wheat flour, jaggery water and curd. Mix it very well and try to break all the lumps.
- Add dry fruits pieces, cardamom powder, fennel seed (powder / crushed) and baking soda. If required, further add water, again mix it well. Make sure that there are no lumps in batter. Cover it with lid and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Before frying, first check the pouring consistency of the batter. It should be smooth thick batter pouring consistency. if required add more water and whisk it well. To make a smooth batter of pouring consistency.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a deep-frying pan / kadai on medium flame gas.
- Use your fingers or small teaspoon and drop the batter in a small size like pakora in a hot oil/ghee, it automatically forms round shape or any shape, no need to spread it. Alternatively, you can use Appe Patra for frying by using less oil/ghee.
- When frying, stir the Gulgule in between. When it cooks little bit from one side then flip the Gulgule and like this fry it from all other side. Fry the Gulgule till it becomes golden red from all sides.
- Remove the Gulgule from oil/ghee and drain the excess oil. Keep it on a kitchen tissue paper.
- Garnish with blended dry fruits milk, serve it as a sweet dish.
Tips / suggestions:
- Add more Jaggery to batter is up to you. However, it increases the sweetness of Gulgule.
- Instead of water use milk OR half milk and half water.
- For frying purpose use oil or ghee. Else use mixture of oil and ghee.
(1 bowl oil and 2 /3 spoon ghee).
- With this batter, you can prepare 20 medium size Gulgule.
- Always fry Gulgule on medium flame gas.
Photos for reference: