Baingan Bharta is a common dish prepared in most of the states of India. In Maharashtra it is known as Vanghyache Bharit. This recipe is very easy to cook as all ingredients are easily available at home.
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Cook Time – 15 mins
Total Time – 35 mins
• 2 Brinjals (Baingan)
• 2 finely chopped Onions
• 2 finely chopped Tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
• 2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
• ½ small bowl roasted and coarsely crushed Peanut
• Finely Chopped Coriander leaves
• 6-7 Curry leaves
• 4-5 teaspoon oil
• Salt to taste
Serves: 5 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Wash the Brinjal and apply some oil from all sides and slightly slit the brinjal 2-4 sides. Roast the brinjal on medium flame gas directly OR use roast tawa, keep brinjal on roast tawa on low flame and roast the brinjal on it, in between (2-3 minutes) turning it from all sides for roasting. It takes 7-10 minutes.
- The outer layer of brinjal is completely blistered, turn black / dark brown and brinjal becomes soft. Inserting the knife in roasted brinjal for checking whether it cooked or not. If required more cooking, again keep it on a flame, roast it for few minutes.
- Remove the brinjal from flame and keep aside for few minutes or keep it in a water bowl for cooling.
- Peel the outer layer (skin) of roasted brinjal and finely chopped the brinjal or mashed it properly.
- Heat the oil in Kadai or pan on low flame gas & add mustard seed, curry leaves and onion, saute for 2-3 minutes till the onion becomes reddish brown.
- Add finely chopped tomato, saute till the onion and tomato becomes soft and oil start separating from the onion and tomato mixture.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and crushed peanut, mix it well, saute the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mashed / chopped cooked baingan in above mixture, add salt to taste. Stir all very well and cover it with lid for few minutes. while cooking lovely smoky aroma spread in your kitchen.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve hot with roti/ chapati/ Pulkas/bhakari (any type)
Tips / suggestions:
- Add ginger garlic paste as per your choice
- Add more spice ingredients as per your choice like cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder
- Also add chopped green chillies for more spicy
- Coarsely crushed Peanut is optional
- Adjust above spice ingredients as per your choice
Ready to serve with your lunch or dinner.
Photos for reference: