Sabudana Vadas are very famous Upvaas/Fasting snacks prepared in most of the states of India. Some people also prepare these for morning or evening snacks. The taste of Sabudana vadas is delicious when served hot. Little more brownish and crispy makes it more delicious. It goes well with green chilly coconut chutney or sweet curd or lassi. These are very quick to make as most of the ingredient are available at home.
Preparation Time – 30 mins
Soak Sabudana – 1 hour 30 mins
Cook Time – 15 mins
Total Time – 2 hours 15 mins
- 500gm Sabudana (Sago)
- 4 medium size boiled potatoes
- 2 small bowl roasted and coarsely crushed Peanut
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 5/6 green chillies
- 1 bowl coriander leaves
- Rock salt (Sendha Namak) to taste
- 2 small bowl oil for frying purpose only
Serves: 8 persons
Directions / Procedure :
- Take sabudana in big deep bowl. Wash the sabudana in water about 2-3 times. Then soak the sabudana in water for about one and half hours. After that it becomes soft.
- Completely drain the water from soaked sabudana and keep aside.
- Boil the potatoes and after cooling peel potatoes . Then smash it and keep aside.
- Make paste of green chilly, ginger and coriander leaves.
- In a big bowl take soaked sabudana, smashed potatoes, coarsely crushed peanut and paste of chilly, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Add salt to taste. Mix all ingredients smoothly very well.
- Make small round shape balls/vadas or any other shape.
- Heat the oil in pan on low flame gas. Now keep the flame medium and fry these sabudana vadas from both the sides till it turns reddish.
Ready to serve with green chilly coconut chutney or sweet curd or lassi.
Tips & suggestions
- While washing don’t rub the Sabudana.
- Soak the Sabudana very well in water and it becomes very soft. While making sabudana vadas, softness of soaked sabudana is most important.
- Check the hardness of sabudana before draining the water, if required further soak sabudana for some time.
- Add or adjust the ingredients like paste of chilly and ginger or add chopped green chillies.
- Also add cumin seeds is optional.
Photos for reference: