Neer Fanas is known as Breadfruit in English which belongs to Jackfruit family. It comes in small size and looks different than Jackfruit. It is also known as Jeev Kadgi. The fried Neer Fanas have delicious taste and are basically served as starters/side dish too. If you fry a little more it becomes crispy as well. Nice to have dish during lunch and dinner. Served with chapati or dal rice (Varan Bhat). My kids and husband love to eat with dal rice.
It is tastier dish prepared by Konkani people and it known as Neer Fanasachi Kaap in Konkan. This Neer Fanas is mostly available in Konkan region of Maharashtra, Goa and some South states of India. Sometimes it’s available at Matunga Vegetable Market in Mumbai during Ganesh Festival.
Preparation Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 10 mins
Total Time – 20 mins
- 1 Neer Fanas ( Breadfuit)
- 2 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 bowl rice flour / semolina
- Salt to taste
- 1 bowl oil for frying purpose only
Serves: 4 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Take Neer Fanas and make four pieces equally, then cut into thin slices (1/2 inch thick). Now peel the outer skin and cut the central core.
- In a big bowl, take slices of Neer Fanas , apply some salt and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 mins wash with water and add chilly powder, turmeric powder, sprinkle I pinch salt. Mix it well.
- Dip this sliced Neer Fanas in rice flour / semolina or apply rice flour / semolina from both sides.
- Heat the oil in frying pan on low flame gas. Cook the one side of Neer Fanas for 2-3 minutes till it turns light reddish. Flip it and cook it for 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve the hot fried Neer Fanas with dal rice or chappati
- Apply oil to your palms before cutting
- If you like crispy then cut the Neer Fanas slightly thin
- Add or adjust chilli powder/ turmeric powder as per your choice
Ready to serve with your lunch / dinner.
Photos for reference: