Bhoplyache Gharge is a special sweet dish prepared for Gauri Pujan during Ganesh festival in Maharashtra. It is offered as naivedhya to Goddess Gauri. The recipe is made using Red Pumpkin, Jaggery, Coconut and mixture of Rice & Wheat flour.
Gharge is a form of Puri/Vada. However, the taste of Bhoplyache Gharge is sweet as it includes sweetness of Red Pumpkin and Jaggery. This recipe is famous in Konkan region of Maharashtra. You can also make this recipe for breakfast, snacks or school tiffin.
Preparation Time – 30 Mins
Cook Time – 30 mins
Total Time – 1 hour
- 500 gm red bhopla (Red Pumpkin)
- 1 bowl grated coconut
- 2 bowl grated jaggery
- 2 bowl rice flour
- 2 bowl wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Oil for frying purpose
- One banana leaf
Serves: 7 persons (2/3 for each person)
Directions / Procedure :
The following procedure consists of two processes which includes preparing the dough for gharge and process to make the gharge
A. Process to make dough for Gharge
- Peel the outer layer of pumpkin and finely chopped it. Make any small shape because it cooks easily. Wash it with water and keep aside.
- Take fresh one bowl grated coconut in blender jar and add half glass of water in it, grind it well but slightly thick and keep aside.
- Heat kadai or non-stick deep pan on low flame and add chopped pumpkin and grated jaggery, saute for one minute and then cover with lid. Cook the above mixture on medium flame for about 8-10 minutes.
- Make sure, the jaggery is melted completely and pumpkin become very soft. You need to mash cooked pumpkin by using masher.
- Add grinded coconut and stir it very well. Cook the mixture for about 5-7 minutes on low flame.
- Now add rice flour and wheat flour in the above mixture. Stir all the ingredients very well and cover the mixture with lid. Turn off the flame and cool down the mixture.
- Now knead the dough carefully while kneading, do not add water. Keep the dough aside for about 10 minutes.
- Before making small balls of dough, again knead the dough.
- Your soft yellow colour dough is ready for making the gharge.
B. Process to make the Gharge
- Wash the banana leaves with water. Apply some (1/2 teaspoon) oil on the top side of leaf and keep aside.
- Take lemon size dough and keep it on the leaf. Then spread the dough evenly using hand fingers or palm and make round shape but slightly thicken.
- Simultaneously, heat the oil in frying pan. Now keep the flame medium and fry these gharge from both the sides till it turns reddish.
- Here your Bhoplyache Gharge are ready.
Tips / suggestions:
- Your dough should be very soft
- If required apply some water to dough while spreading the dough on leaf
- Use sugar instead of grated jaggery
Photos for reference: