Amboli is a breakfast dish made in every household of Konkan region of Maharashtra. It is made from rice and urad batter kept for fermentation overnight. This dish goes well with green chilly chutney or tomato sauce. Some people in Konkan also prepare it for lunch or dinner along with Kala Vatanyachi Usal (Black Peas). This combination with Usal is very tasty.
The preparation of dish is similar to South Indian dosa. However, the preparation of actual dish could vary in different states of India.
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Cook Time – 10 mins
Total Time – 30 mins
- 2 Bowl Rice
- 1 Bowl Urad dal
- 2 teaspoon Ghee
- Salt to taste
Serves: 5 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Rinse rice and urad dal in water for 3-4 times, means until water gets clear. Soak both rice and urad dal separately for about 5 – 6 hours in medium bowl.
- After 5-6 hours, rice and urad dal grind in a mixer separately. Add water as required and make thick smooth batter.
- In a big deep pan, now mix both rice & urad dal batter very well and cover it with lid. Keep the batter in a warm place for fermentation, it requires minimum 7-8 hours.
- After 7-8 hours batter become fermented, stir the batter well. Add enough water and salt to taste. Again stir the batter.
- While stirring the batter, make sure that batter should be thick and have pouring consistency is must.
- Heat the dosa pan or tawa on low flame. Grease the pan with few drops of oil by using potato.
- Take the batter in a serving spoon or ladle, pour one full ladle of batter in the centre of pan. Spread it equally in round shape.
- Now keep the flame medium and cook the base lightly reddish then flip amboli carefully.
- Once it cooked from both sides then remove it in a plate, like this you can make rest of the ambolis.
Tips / suggestions:
- If you plan amboli on next day morning, then you have make batter in previous night.
- If batter is unused then keep it in the fridge, within 2-3 days you can use it.
Photos for reference: