Paneer Masala is very popular dish in North and Western region of India. It’s always part of the menu in wedding parties. This dish goes well with Naan, Roti, Paratha or Chappati. If you add Butter in this dish, then it is called Paneer Butter Masala or if you add Mutter (Green Peas) in this dish, then it is called Paneer Mutter Masala. You can try different variants of this dish.
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Cook Time – 15 mins
Total Time – 35 mins
- 250 grams Paneer
- 2 finely chopped Onion
- 2 finely chopped Tomato
- 1 teaspoon ginger -garlic- coriander paste
- ½ inch Cinnamom stick (Dalchini)
- 5 Green cardamom
- 1 Black cardamom
- 4-5 cloves (Laung)
- 1 Star anise (Dagadful)
- 2 bay leaf (Tamal patra /Tej patta)
- 2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ bowl Kasuri Methi
- 12-14 cashew nut
- ½ small bowl cream (Optional)
- 4-5 teaspoon oil or ghee
- 2 -teaspoon butter
- Salt to taste
Serves: 5 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- First make the small pieces of paneer like cube or any shape and keep aside.
- Now heat the oil in kadai or pan on low flame gas and add paneer cube in it. Fry the paneer cube slightly from all sides and keep aside.
- In the same kadai or pan, heat the oil on low flame gas and add finely chopped onion, saute for 2-3 minutes till the onion becomes translucent and slightly reddish.
- Add finely chopped tomato, saute till the onion and tomato becomes soft and oil start separating from the onion and tomato mixture.
- Add cashews, chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and ginger-garlic-coriander paste in it. Mix it well, saute the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Then transfer the above mixture in a grinder/mixer/blender and make a smooth paste. Keep the paste aside.
- Again, heat the butter in pan and add bay leaf, cinnamom, star anise, black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves and kasuri methi , cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the above paste in it and mix it well, saute the mixture for about 2 minutes.
- Then add paneer cube in the gravy and add salt to taste. Stir all very well and cover it with lid. Cook the gravy for few minutes on a low flame.
- If you like thick gravy, then switch off the flame or add some amount of water and cook 1-2 minutes further.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve hot with roti/ chapati/ pulkas/bhakari (any type)
Tips / suggestions:
- Add ginger garlic paste as per your choice
- Add / adjust more spice ingredients as per your choice like cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder
- If required add ½ glass of water
- Cream is optional for garnishing
Photos for reference: