Solkadhi is a type of digestive drink and it is served as an appetizer/beverage in Konkan region of Maharashtra, India. The Solkadhi is known as kokum saar/ kokum kadhi / amsul kadhi. This drink is good for digestion and keeps our body cool. Konkani people prefer drinking Solkadhi with meal or after eating meal.
I always serve Solkadhi with rice and batatachi kapa (fried masala potato). This combination is too tasty and my kids love it very much. Sometimes it’s a zatpat (quick) lunch or dinner menu in my list.
The main ingredients of this dish are grated coconut, green chilli, garlic, ginger and aaghol (kokum juice).
Preparation Time – 25 mins
- 1 big bowl grated coconut
- 1/2-inch ginger
- 10 – 12 Garlic claves
- 5/6 green chilly
- 1-2 pinch Asafoetida (Optional)
- 1 or ½ teaspoon Aaghol/ kokum juice / Amsol (Sol)
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Hot water as required
- Salt to taste
Serves: 8-10 persons
Directions / Procedure:
- Take fresh 2 bowl grated coconut, green chilly, ginger and garlic in blender jar and add one and half glass of water in a mixture, grind it roughly.
- Take big strainer/sieve and place it in a big bowl and pour the blended coconut mixture in strainer/sieve and to collect the extract of mixture.
- From strainer again collect grinded coconut residue in blender jar and grind it well and collect the second extract of mixture in a same bowl.
- Repeat the step 3 again. The extract of mixture is the Spicy coconut milk.
- Now pour the 1 or 2 teaspoon aaghol in the spicy coconut milk and salt to taste.
- Mix well to get creamy pink coloured Solkadhi.
- If required, add water for adjusting the thickness of Solkadhi.
- Here is your Solkadhi ready to serve.
Tips & suggestions
- Add or adjust the green chilly, garlic and ginger
- Adjust the thickness of gravy by adding water.
- Instead of aaghol use 10-15 kokum / Amsol – Soak aamsol in 1 small bowl water for about 1 hour
- Serve directly or keep it in refrigerator.
- Keep this in refrigerator for 3-4 days in air tight container.
Photos for reference: