Dal Pakwan is a very well known breakfast dish prepared by Sindhis. I had prepared this dish for breakfast because my kids love this recipe very much. I have never seen this recipe anywhere. My daughter always eat this dish in her School canteen. She wanted me to prepare this dish for breakfast on Sunday. When I attempted it, she was very happy. I have tried it differently by adding three dals which includes chana dal, toor dal and moong dal. You can also prepare this dish for birthday parties or during family gatherings.
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Cook Time – 40 mins
Total Time – 60 mins
- 2 big bowl Chana dals (Split Bengal gram)
- 1 small bowl Moong dal
- 1 small bowl Toor dal
- 500 gm refined flour (Maida)
- 1 bowl refined folur (maida) for dusting
- 1 or ½ teasoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 small bowl tamarind paste – ref ingredients
- 1 small bowl green chutney – ref ingredients
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Small bowl finely chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- 2 small bowl oil
- Water as requird
- ½ bowl butter
- Salt to taste
Serves: 4 persons
Directions / Procedure:
A. Process to prepare Tamarind paste and Green chutney / Mint chutney
Prepare the paste of tamarind
- Take half bowl tamarind and clean it by removing the seed, skin and unwanted particles.
- Add 1 and 1/2 bowl water and clean tamarind in another bowl. Soak the tamarind in water for about 1 hour. Make sure that tamarind must be fully immersed in water.
- After one hour, tamarind must be soft, smashed the soft tamarind very well and filter it by using strainer in another pot.
- We require thick paste, so just squeeze the tamarind very well, but do not add water. Here your tamarind paste is ready.
Prepare the Green chutney /Mint chutney
- Take two bowl pudina, half bowl coriander leaves, 4-5 green chillies, ½ inch ginger,1 teaspoon lemon juice, 2-3 teaspoon water and salt to taste.
- Grind all above ingredients in a mixer and make smooth paste. Here your green chutney is ready.
B. Process to prepare Mix Dal
- Wash the channa dal, moong dal and toor dal with water and mix the all dals in one deep pot and soak the mixed dals in water for 3-4 hours. If required again wash with water.
- Cook the soaked mixed dal in a pressure cooker by adding water and turmeric powder in it. Keep the flame high till two- three whistles.
- Once the pressure cooker cools down then open the cooker lid and take out the pot of cooked dal.
- Now pour the boiled dal mixture in kadai and add chilli powder, green chutney, tamarind paste and salt to taste. Mix the all ingredients very well and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Here your Mixed Dal is ready for serving, garnish with coriander leaves and keep aside.
C. Process to prepare Pakwan by using dough
- In mixing bowl / big deep plate, take maida, add 5 teaspoon oil, Cumin seeds and salt to taste. Mix everything very well. Now slowly add water in mixture and knead the mixture properly. Knead the mixture till oil and water completely absorbed by the dough.
- While kneading makes ensure that the dough should be smooth and soft. Cover the dough with lid and keep aside for about at least 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes apply some oil to your palm and again knead the dough very well. Now your soft dough is ready for making the crispy pooris / pakwan.
- Take lemon size dough and roll it on dusted rolling board in a round shape like circle/ pooris.
- Now prick or make small cuts on the pooris by using fork or knife. This step is important while making crispy pooris/pakwan. Make ensure that these pooris does not puff up while frying in hot oil.
- Heat the oil in frying pan on low flame gas. Cook the one side of poori for about 2 minutes. Flip the poori and cook the other side for 2 about minutes.
- Fry the poori from both sides till it turns reddish, golden and crispy. Always keep the flame medium.
- In similar way, make all pooris and keep aside in air tight container.
Serve hot Crispy poori/pakwan with mixed dal, spicy green chutney
Tips & suggestions
- Adjust the spice ingredients like chilli powder, green chilly , ginger .
- Adding spices like 1 teaspoon cumin powder and 1 teaspoon coriander powder in green chutney are optional.
- While serving, add butter, green chutney and tamarind paste in mixed dal and serve hot with Crispy poori/ pakwan
Photos for reference: